Experience & Education
Certification: American Board of Internal Medicine, 1977
B.A. with High Honors (History) University of Virginia College of Arts and Sciences Charlottesville, Virginia 22903 June 1964 M.D. University of Virginia School of Medicine Charlottesville, Virginia 22903 June 1968 Internship and Residency (Internal Medicine) Georgetown University Hospital 3800 Reservoir Road, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20007 1968-1970 - Chief of Medicine, Lawrence Kyle, M.D. Fellowship (Pulmonary Medicine) Georgetown University Hospital 3800 Reservoir Road, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20007 1972-1974 - Chief of Service, Sol Katz, M.D.
- The Clinical Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Georgetown University School of Medicine, 1998
- Distinguished Internist of the Year
- Virginia Society of Internal Medicine, 1995
- Special Recognition Award
- American Society of Internal Medicine, 1992
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of Virginia, 1964
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, 1977
- Fellow, American College of Physicians, 1979
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians, 2004
- American Lung Association of Northern Virginia, 1983
Dr. Zimmet received his undergraduate and medical degrees from the University of Virginia. He completed his postgraduate training in internal medicine and pulmonary medicine at Georgetown University Hospital. He is currently a Clinical Professor of Medicine at Georgetown University and is also an Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine at George Washington University. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American College of Chest Physicians and has served as president of NAMDRC, a national association of pulmonary physicians. Dr. Zimmet is past president of the Virginia Thoracic Society, the American Lung Association of Northern Virginia, and the Virginia Society of Internal Medicine. He was Medical Director of the ICU and Respiratory Care Department at Virginia Hospital Center, and serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the hospital. A native of Arlington, Dr. Zimmet joined Pulmonary and Medical Associates in 1974.